Hosted by the Oswego County Division of Parks and Recreation and Oswego Expeditions, Base Camp Oswego is organized by a group of outdoor enthusiasts including Pinnacle Builders USA Inc., Oswego Expeditions, Oswego County Search and Rescue Team, Greater Oswego-Fulton Chamber of Commerce, Oswego County Tourism Office, Oswego County Division of Parks and Recreation, and several volunteers.
“Base Camp Oswego focuses on exploring the awesome opportunities for winter recreation that we have in Oswego County,” said event chairman and Oswego County Legislator Jake Mulcahey of Oswego. “Several experienced volunteers will lead hikes and present workshops about how to enjoy and appreciate the outdoors during the winter. As a bonus activity, overnight tent camping will be available Saturday night, Feb. 27, for those who bring their own gear."
The event opens at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 27. Workshops and tours start at 10 a.m. Indoor workshops and vendors will be located in the main building at Camp Hollis. A supply of snowshoes will be available for loan on a first come, first served basis.
The schedule is:
- 10 a.m.: Basic Rules for Cold Weather Comfort and Safety, Barb Hartman (indoor presentation); Cross-Country Ski Tour, Dick Drosse; Winter Woods Snowshoe Walk, Joe Chairvolotti.
- 11 a.m.: Introduction to Winter Camping, Oswego Expeditions (indoor presentation); Survival Snowshoe Hike, Oswego County Search and Rescue Team; Camp Cooking Techniques, Kevin Clerkin, Scott Russell, Cong Nguyen.
- Noon: Lunch; Recreation Opportunities in Oswego County by Oswego County Tourism, Great Bear Recreation Area, Rice Creek Field Station, Oswego Expeditions and Oswego County Division of Parks and Recreation.
- 1 p.m.: Dog Sled Demos: How to get your dog involved this winter, Barb Hartman; Orienteering and Geocache, Oswego Expeditions (indoor/outdoor presentation).
- 2 p.m.: Fitness Snowshoe Hike, Oswego Expeditions; Photo Tour of the Adirondacks, Spencer Morrisey (indoor presentation).
- 3 p.m.: Camp Cooking Techniques, Kevin Clerkin, Scott Russell, Cong Nguyen; Fat Bike Demos,Murdock's Bicycles and Sports.
- 4 p.m.: Base Camp Tour of Overnight Campsite, Jake Mulcahey.
Lunch will be available for purchase or participants may bring their own. Vendors and displays will be located in the main building and include Oswego County Search and Rescue Team, Oswego Expeditions, Green Planet Grocery, Adirondack Mountain Club, Oswego City-County Youth Bureau, American Red Cross, and Oswego County Tourism.
Overnight camping will begin after 4 p.m. Overnight campers are invited to join in a moonlight snowshoe trek and bonfire Saturday evening. Overnight campers need to provide their own gear, dinner, complete a waiver, and pre-register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/base-camp-oswego-2016-tickets-20967222527.
Base Camp Oswego is sponsored by Pinnacle Builders USA Inc., Oswego Expeditions, Oswego County Division of Parks and Recreation, Bev’s Dairy Treat, Oswego County Search and Rescue Team, Oswego County Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning, and the Greater Oswego – Fulton Chamber of Commerce, with support from the Oswego County Buildings and Grounds Department, Adirondack Mountain Club, American Red Cross, Oswego Town Volunteer Fire Department, Murdock’s Bicycles and Sports, and several volunteers.
For information visit www.facebook.com/BaseCampOswego or call the Oswego County Division of Parks and Recreation at 315-349-3450 or the Oswego County Tourism Office at 315-349-8322.
Camp Hollis is owned by Oswego County and operated by the Oswego City-County Youth Bureau. All proceeds from the event will be donated to Friends of Camp Hollis, a not-for-profit group that supports youth recreation activities at Camp Hollis.